Friday, December 02, 2005

Rain, Fiona Apple and no more Madonna!

Today is just nasty. It's one of those overcast, gray California days that makes you want to curl up in bed with the cat and never get out. I had the hardest time waking up this morning. Of course, that could also have something to do with the fact that I didn't get to bed until 3:30 a.m. in the morning, having stayed out far past my bedtime watching a wet underwear contest at the Gauntlet II, but still... rain just makes me sleepy.

I haven't had a whole lot of anything to say since my Thanksgiving post. I looked back through older posts and realized that my blog was slowly becoming about nothing but Madonna. LOL! This happens every time she puts a new CD out. I immerse myself in all things Madge, seeking out magazines and checking my TiVo for interviews she might be giving on TV, posting on her fan club message board, etc. etc. It ain't pretty, folks. And I'm sure that most of my friends read this stuff and go, "He's so far gone." Ha. (Actually, if you think I'm bad, you should read what some of the obsessive fans in her fan club say on her boards. I'm a-scared of them!)

At any rate, I'll try and keep references to Her Royal Highness down to a minimum from here on out. I've actually been playig the f#ck out of the new Fiona Apple CD lately. There's a great cover story on her in this month's Paste magazine. (I so want to write for them. Too bad the editor won't return my frickin' emails! Sheesh!) I don't know how many of you have heard Fiona's new record, Extraordinary Machine, but it really does live up to its title. Anyone who knows me knows that I was a huge fan of When the Pawn..., and I wasn't sure anything Fiona did after that would live up, but this new one does. It's quite good. Mike Elizondo does a great job producing, and the two songs remaining from her sessions with Jon Brion are probably my favorite on the disc.

Incidentally, I once sold vibrators to Fiona when she visited Drake's on Melrose a few years back. I was working the graveyard shift, and this was about 12:30 a.m., and she was in there looking through vibrators. My co-worker was busy washing the windows, so I kinda slid on in there and took the sale and helped her pick a few nice ones out. The store policy was that anything battery-operated had to be tested before leaving the store (you know, in case it didn't work, since bringing back a "used" vibrator is largely unacceptable), and as I was testing these products, Fiona's face turned beet red, and she was so adorably embarrassed. Finally, she settled on one (a rather extravagant one with beads and a rabbit and all kinds of bells and whistles). Now, during this entire time (probably about 20-30 mins in all), I never let on that I knew who she was. I just treated her like any other cusomter. And just as I'm putting her choice into a bag for her, I leaned in and said, "Now I better not hear about this in any of your songs." Well, the poor girl just about lost it. Her face, already red from before, turned purple, and she doubled over in hysterics, with tears streaming down her face.

On her way out the door, she was STILL laughing, and she turned around and looked at me and was like, "You rock, man!" Then she walked away into the Los Angeles night with a bag full of adult goodies. That was my biggest brush with fame--apart from interviews, of course. But I digress. Anyway, Fiona's new record is brill (short for "brilliant" here in L.A.), so do pick it up if you get a chance.

Oh well. Nothing much else to say today. I haven't been writing a whole lot of cool stories lately. Things get kind of slow around the holidays in the entertainment business, but I also need to make sure that I'm getting on all the right lists, which I don't think I am right now. So, I have to see who I can schmooze with in the near future to gain invites to some of this stuff.

By the way, the magazine that I work for, AVN Online, is up for a Cybersocket award for Best Industry Publication. The Cybersocket Awards are held every year in Vegas, honoring the best in gay adult online entertainment. You can vote for us here: http://www.cybersocketwebawards.com/6th/votenow-industry.cfm.

OK, well, that's about it for me right now. I'm tired of typing, and I need to get back to work (um, more typing). Gonna run along, but hope everyone is well!

XOXO,
Hollywood Ken

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Free Site Counter