Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Update in the Life of Ken, 7-13-07

Well, it's been a little while since I posted a blog entry. For a writer, I sure can suck at writing, huh? Oh well. I've had a lot going on in my life lately, and it's been keeping me very busy. What's been going ask, you ask? Well, let me just tell you...

1. NEW JOB -- Yeah, I got a new gig. And a pretty frickin' sweet one at that. It came about rather suddenly. I was sitting at work at my old gig at AVN Online, when my co-worker came in and informed me that he'd given his notice. I had been unhappy in my job for quite a well--my job performance was certainly reflecting that--and I decided that the time had come for me to look for something else as well. So I went onto MediaBistro.com, saw a listing for an associate editor at Specialty Publications (who I used to freelance for quite regularly), and submitted my resume' that very evening. The next day, they wrote back to ask me a few questions (like what my salary requirement was), and then I got a call from the editor asking me to come in right away. Turns out he'd already decided to hire someone else, but when he saw my resume' he decided to wait until he met with me. Well, I knew within 10 minutes of walking into his door that I had the job. Sure enough, a few days later, I got the official job offer. It all happened within a week.

It's very exciting, too! I LOVE the new gig. I have a sweet office--my own office!--with a beautiful view of the city, and a lot more responsiblity than at my own job. It's like a junior editor position; I get to assign stories, negotiate contracts and even edit what comes in. I couldn't have asked for a better gig at this point in my career. And I fit in right away; it feels like I've been part of the team here forever. And the money certainly doesn't hurt. In fact, money has been the source of much happiness in my life recently...

2) NEW CAR! -- Yes! After three years of cavorting around town in a Dodge Caravan (yes, a soccer Mom vehicle), I've got new wheels! While my parents were in town visiting, we test drove a 2007 Toyota RAV4, and I was very close to buying it, but something kept pulling me back at the last minute. I had actually wanted one of the older models, because they were a little smaller and I liked the design better, so I went onto CarMax.com that night and found exactly what I wanted: a 2003 RAV4 with a sunroof and the whole sport model package! It was fate! So we drove out the very next day, I test drove it, applied for the loan, and several hours later drove off the lot in my new car--my first car that is actually bought and paid for by ME (though my dad did help out with a modest downpayment--thanx, Dad)! I couldn't be happier.

It's the sweetest little car. I didn't need a big SUV to prove my manhood--a CUV (compact utility vehicle) is just fine, thanx. I can still take it camping and haul shit around in it, and I can fit in tight parking places, which is key in Los Angeles! I had some other things done to it--like having rear sensors installed and outfitting it with a brand new stereo that ROCKS (it's iPod AND Sirius-compatible!)--and I just love it.

3) NEW HOME -- OK, well, not quite, but I have started the process of remodeling/redesigning the pad I've been living in for the past six years. My problem has always been that my one-bedroom space was just too small to contain both myself and my freelance writing stuff. All those CDs, DVDs, books and press releases add up rather quickly when you haven't got a lot of room to keep them in. But with the recent influx of money, I'm finally able to totally redo my bedroom. I have a really big closet, so I'm ripping out my closet doors and moving my computer and file cabinets in there, which will almost be like having a third room that is strictly devoted to office stuff. I'll have new file cabinets and shelves installed, and should be able to keep all my freelance stuff in there. That will allow me to keep my bedroom just as a bedroom, and I'll be getting a new bed/headboard, as well as a wardrobe to keep all the clothes from my closet in. Everything that's been in my closet will now move into a storage facility that I'll be renting with my neighbor.

I'll also be repainting the entire apartment (except for my bathroom, which I love) and getting new furniture for the whole place. Finally--a real sofa-bed, and not a futon! I'm growing up! AND I've totally redone my patio, which is now a third room in and of itself. I've blocked it off with some bamboo fencing, added some wicker furniture and a great Mosaic bisto table/chair set, as well as a grill, a water fountain, some plants and some Chinese lights, and it's now a totally decked out bachelor patio! It rocks. The neighbors have been over nearly every night to hang out up there with me. I moved Masha's litter pan out onto the patio (no more stinky bathrooom) and built a special little door so that she can go outside whenever she wants. Since she never goes any futher than three feet from my front door (she knows where her bread is buttered), it works out perfectly for both of us. I will post before and after pics soon!

4) NEW BODY -- As most of you know, I've been working on this since mid-January, and the results are definitely now showing. People keep commenting on the fact that I've lost weight (12 pounds!), and others have pointed out my "sturdier" upper body. The six-month project was supposed to come to a close in two weeks, but I've decided to extend it one extra month so that I can really hit the gym hardcore before the "after" pics get taken. I've added an extra night to the weight training (up from four nights to five) and have gotten even more strict about my diet (absolutely NO sugar!), so by the time August 22 rolls around, I should be looking pretty fine. It's great trying on clothes in stores and seeing my body in the long mirrors now. It's such an amazing feeling to look and myself and see what happens when you put your mind to something and really do it. For so long, I told myself that I would fail, and to be able to accomplish something you thought you couldn't is the most liberating feeling in the world. What's next?

5) A NEW MAN??? -- Well, this would be nice--if I could actually FIND one who actually WANTS to date. Sadly, I keep ending up with these typically non-committal types who mistake the desire to date and "explore the chemistry" as a demand for an engagement ring. The last guy totally came on strong, told me he wanted to date, and then accused me of pressuring him when I tried to get him to commit to a SECOND date. Sheesh. Some things never change. But it was a great thing for me. I'd had lingering feelings about him since the last time we dated a year and a half ago (before he decided to go back to his ex), and now I have a peaceful sense of closure about him. We obviously weren't right for each other, or else it would have worked out--if not the first time around, then definitely the second. Oh well. So it's back to the drawing board for me.

But here's the irony: For the first time, I feel like I'm actually ready to be in a relationship, but I'm in no rush. I seriously LOVE my life right now. About two years ago, I started to relax about the whole love thing, and since then I've managed to come to terms with being single. It's not so bad after all. I used to feel that I needed a boyfriend to make me feel complete, but I no longer feel that way. I AM complete right now. I'm happier than I've ever been--and it's totally fine that I have my cat and my friends--not to mention the occasional hot guy--to keep me company. It's such an awesome feeling to be happy in your own skin. Why did it have to take me so damned long to finally get to this point???? Oh well. You live, you learn, right?

So, there you have it, folks. That's what's been up in the life of your friendly neighborhood La-La Lifer, Hollywood Ken. Nothing but good, positive things. I don't know if you remember my post from January, but 2007 is the "Year of the Pig" in the Chinese zodiack, and so far, it seems to be true. Because this little Piggy is having a ball at the marketplace!

Hope all is well in your lives! Please keep in touch!

XOXO,
Hollywood Ken

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Free Site Counter