Saturday, May 03, 2008

Wanna Watch My Movie!???

Well, folks, it's done: My first-ever movie. I moved to Los Angeles just about seven years ago to get in the movie business, and I'm finally getting off my butt and doing something about it. I'm loving film school, and the opportunity to do something like this has been a huge inspiration to me.

We shot the movie over two days in the Pan Pacific Park, which incidentally is where they shot the exterior of the disco in Xanadu. So "movie magic" was all around us. Haha. I shot it on a budget of $100 (for food and snacks for the actors) and with the fear that the police might come and kick us out at any moment because we were filming without a permit! But we never had anyone bother us in the two days we were there. On the contrary, everyone left us alone, though the families with their kids were quite amused to see six mimes walking around the park on that first day.

The assignment for class was to do a chase film. I wanted to do something slapsticky and in the vein of Benny Hill meets Charlie Chaplin, except without the gratuitous T&A shots. I ran through several scenarios until I came up with this idea: A man reading a book in the park is bothered by an excitable mime who won't leave him alone. This leads to the mime stealing his book, which leads to the big chase. I was lucky enough to find a professional mime on Craigslist. Mark Wenzel was awesome to work with. He came with his own props and ideas on fun things to do. The whole unicycle bit came from him bringing it along. I thought it would be great to shoot all kinds of fun comedy bits during the chase. It really worked out well.

My director of photography was Michael Bosman, who is also my next door neighbor. He had graciously offered to help me out on my project a while back, and he was instrumental in the movie looking as good as it does. He shot on his professional camera, and we sat together for five late nights and collaborated on the editing. It was laborious, but great fun just the same.

I wasn't supposed to play the Guy, but you really find out who your friends are when you're making a movie. I couldn't find anyone to play the Guy, so I stepped in and did it myself, but I really had a great time doing it, though I gotta tell you, all that running about killed my legs. I fell at one point and totally scraped up my knees. They are still recovering! Anything for your art, right?

Here's one interesting tidbit for all you NCIS fans. Mark couldn't really whistle that well, so we had to dub in someone doing his whistling for him. So I asked my neighboor and good friend, NCIS star Pauley Perrette (aka "Abby") to do the whistling. So yes, I have a bona fide TV star in my movie. How cool is that?

Anyway, there you go. Some of the fun behind-the-scenes facts about the making of my very first movie. I hope you enjoy it!



XOXO,
Hollywood Ken

1 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Free Site Counter